Trademark Fee Changes
Effective January 14, 2017, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (“USPTO”) will be changing some of its trademark processing and service fees. The fee changes that are most relevant to our clients are:
- Standard TEAS Applications: Initial trademark application filing fees will increase from $325 to $400.
- If a TEAS Plus or TEAS RF application does not meet the filing requirements, the applicant will incur an additional fee of $125 per Class. The additional fee is currently $50 per class.
- Fee for Extension of Time to file Statement of Use will decrease from $150 to $125 per Class.
- Filing fees for renewal applications under §8 and §71 will increase from $100 to $125 per Class.
- The TTAB will now charge for filing Extensions of Time to Oppose. Extensions are currently free of charge. The fee for the first 90-day Extension will be $100. The fee for a further 60-day consented Extension will be $200.
- Filing fees for a Notice of Opposition will increase from $300 to $400 per Class.
- Filing fees for a Petition to Cancel will increase from $300 to $400 per Class.
|Description||Current Fee||New Fee||Change|
|Filing an Application through TEAS Regular, per Class||$325||$400||$75|
|Additional Processing Fee under §2.22(c) or §2.23(c), per Class (electronic)||$50||$125||$75|
|Filing an Affidavit under §8 of the Act through TEAS, per Class||$100||$125||$25|
|Filing an Affidavit under §71 of the Act through TEAS, per Class||$100||$125||$25|
|Filing a Request under §1(d)(2) of the Act for a Six-Month Extension of Time for Filing a Statement of Use under §1(d)(1) of the Act through TEAS, per Class||$150||$125||($25)|
|Filing a Petition to Cancel through ESTTA, per Class||$300||$400||$100|
|Filing a Notice of Opposition through ESTTA, per Class||$300||$400||$100|
|Ex Parte Appeal to the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board Filed through ESTTA, per Class||$100||$200||$100|
|Filing a Request for an Extension of Time to File a Notice of Opposition under §2.102(c)(1) or (c)(2) through ESTTA (first 90-day Extension)||n/a||$100||n/a|
|Filing a Request for an Extension of Time to File a Notice of Opposition under §2.102(c)(3) through ESTTA (Additional 60-day consented Extension)||n/a||$200||n/a|
We encourage our clients and colleagues to review the USPTO’s website for a detailed report of the fee changes – USPTO Fee Changes. Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions regarding the changes.